Low Carb / Keto Ratatouille 7 net carbs per serving.
Updated: May 19
Fun to say better to eat . This peasant dish from the south of France explodes with the flavors of summer vegetables and of Provence were garlic , tomatoes and olive oil are the holy trinity of Provincial cuisine. Serve hot or cold and like all stews its best after a couple of days . Bon Appetite !
Low carb keto Ratatouille
makes 10 servings
1 - medium or 2 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 - Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more to taste
1-Tbsp Herbs de Provence
2 - medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 - bunch basil, tied in a bouquet with kitchen twine + 6 basil leaves, chopped
1 - pinch dried chili flakes
2 -sweet peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 - medium summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 - ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 - Tbsp Minced fresh Parsley
Splash of dry white wine .
Salt and pepper to taste
Pre heat oven to 300 degrees
1. Toss the eggplant cubes with a teaspoon or so of salt. Set the cubes in a colander to drain for about 20 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Pat the eggplant dry, add to the pan, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden. Add a bit more oil if the eggplant absorbs all the oil and sticks to the bottom of the pan. Remove the eggplant when done and set aside.
3. In the same pot, pour in 2 more tablespoons olive oil. Add onions Herbs de Provence and cook for about 7 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, basil bouquet, dried chili flakes, and a bit more salt.
4. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then stir in peppers. Cook for a few more minutes, then stir in summer squash, white wine . cook for a few more minutes, then stir in tomatoes.
5. Cook for 10 minutes longer, then stir in eggplant cover and bake in the oven for 30 minutes more, or until all the vegetables are soft. Remove the bouquet of basil, pressing on it to extract all its flavors, and adjust the seasoning with salt.
6. Stir in the chopped basil leaves, parsley and more extra virgin olive oil, to taste. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts Servings 10.0 Amount Per Serving calories 89 % Daily Value * Total Fat 6 g 9 % Saturated Fat 1 g 4 % Monounsaturated Fat 4 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg 0 % Sodium 34 mg 1 % Potassium 383 mg 11 % Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 % Dietary Fiber 2 g 9 % Sugars 5 g Protein 2 g 4 % Vitamin A 31 % Vitamin C 87 % Calcium 9 % Iron 3 % * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.