Low Carb / Keto Zoodles and Meatball Gratin. 7 net Carbs
Updated: Sep 23, 2019
Move over spaghetti and Meatballs your Low Carb replacement is here !
Low Carb Zoodles and Meatball Gratin
· 6 cups zucchini spirals as per basic Zoodles preparation
· 3 cups Low Carb quick Pomodoro Sauce See recipe or your favorite low carb tomato sauce
· 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
· 1 batch Low Carb Herbed Meat balls . See recipe .
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 Tbs minced fresh parsley
· salt & pepper to taste
1. Add zucchini spirals, garlic and olive oil to a frying pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
2. Toss zucchini and garlic 5 minutes to break it down. It will have a semi-clear look to the spirals .
Add cooking spray to a 9x9 baking dish. Add a couple of tablespoons of spaghetti sauce to the bottom of the baking dish.
Add the half the zucchini spirals to baking dish.
Add meatballs on top of zucchini spirals and then place the remainder of the zucchini spirals around meat balls Pour sauce over meatballs , don’t over load baking dish. Place in 350 degree oven for 12 minutes Remove from oven sprinkle with cheese and return to oven till cooked through and cheese is melted and beginning to brown “ approx.12 minutes Remove from oven sprinkle with parsley and serve .
Low Carb Quick Pomodoro Sauce
3 - Lbs. ripe farm grown tomatoes.
1 – Medium onion minced
5 – Cloves garlic thinly sliced or if you prefer minced.
1/3 – Cup red wine
2-Tbs Tomato paste
1- Tbs Dry Italian herbs or 1 tbs fresh Oregano and Rosemary minced.
¼ - tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1- Loose Cup of Basil leaves tore into ribbons.
2-Tbs minced parsley
2- Tbs Olive Oil
Salt and pepper as needed
Stem and cut up tomatoes. Working in batches in a food processor pulse till crushed but not pureed, set aside.
Over medium heat ,heat up olive oil , Add Italian herbs, red pepper flakes , onions and garlic to pan and sweat for about four minutes stirring to prevent any burning . Add a pinch of salt and pepper at this time.
Add Wine and raise temp to high to boil off wine till reduced to a Tbs +/_
Once wine is reduced add Crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, stir and bring to a fast simmer
Simmer and reduce till thickened, stirring occasionally, approximately 10 minutes
Correct seasoning salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat stir in basil and parsley.
Low Carb Herbed Meatballs basic recipe
· 1/2 pound ground beef chuck, 85 % lean
· 1/2 pound ground pork (or turkey or veal)
· 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
· 1/4 cup heavy cream
· 2 eggs , beaten
· 2 tbsp minced fresh parsely
· 2 tsp herbs de province or Italian seasoning
· 1 small onion minced
· 3 cloves minced , or less if you don’t like garlic
· Salt and Pepper to taste start with ½ tsp of each
1. Add the beef and pork to a medium bowl and break up into smaller chunks, aiming for an even mix.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the meat and mix with a hand mixer until just combined. Do not over-mix.
3. Take a small bit of the mixture and cook in a pan till done and taste for seasoning, Adjust seasoning and repeat , till the flavor suites you
4. Oil hands and roll meatballs into a uniform size , about the size of an avocado pit
To Pan Fry Meatballs:
1. Heat light 2 tbs , olive oil a large frying pan over medium heat pan, [DO NOT crowd the pan. If you do they will steam and be tough and will not brown
2. Cook the meatballs approximately 1 1/2 minutes per side, turning at least 4 times. I use tongs. Cook for 10-15 minutes total. They should be browned and cooked through
3. Remove and set aside
To Bake Meatballs in the Oven:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and position rack to the middle. Place meatballs on a foil-lined or rack-lined baking sheet. Bake meatballs for 15-20 minutes
Low Carb Basic Zoodles recipe
2-3, medium sized Zucchini cut into noodles.
2 / tsp of kosher salt
Place Zoodles onto a sheet pan sprinkle with salt and toss to distribute salt.
Let sit for 20 t0 30 minutes
Transfer zoodles onto a clean dish towel, gather up corners in one hand and use the other to wring out as much water as possible. May have to be done in batches
Use right away or put in fridge for later use
Nutrition Facts Servings 8.0 Amount Per Serving calories 495 % Daily Value * Total Fat 37 g 57 % Saturated Fat 16 g 80 % Monounsaturated Fat 8 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 129 mg 43 % Sodium 1206 mg 50 % Potassium 292 mg 8 % Total Carbohydrate 10 g 3 % Dietary Fiber 3 g 12 % Sugars 3 g Protein 33 g 65 % Vitamin A 205 % Vitamin C 19 % Calcium 76 % Iron 6 % * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.