• tmacon1963

Braised Red Cabbage with Fennel. 6 net Carbs.

Updated: Mar 19

Nutrient packed and full of flavor , this makes a wonderful side dish for any meat or poultry or as a part of a vegetable dish , makes a colorful presentation on the plate .

Topped with Fennel fronds and Fleur de Sel


Low carb Red Cabbage and Caramelized Fennel


Servings

8 people


Ingredients


1 ½ tablespoons fennel seeds

2-medium fennel with tops

2-tablespoons olive oil

1-teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste

6-cups (about 1/2 medium head) red cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch strips

1- cup vegetable stock , chicken stock or water

2-tablespoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar

1-tablespoon or xylitol or erythritol

1-pinch red pepper flake


Instructions


In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, toast fennel seeds until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer seeds to a clean coffee mill, or mortar and pestle, grind to a powder. Set aside.

Trim top and bottom of fennel; reserve fronds in a bowl of cold water for later use. Core fennel; slice bulbs into 1/4-inch slices.

In a deep, wide sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil; add sliced fennel and salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until fennel begins to caramelize. Add the red cabbage, xylitol ,water, and apple cider vinegar. Raise heat to high to bring to a quick boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes. Uncover and stir in the ground fennel seeds. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.

With a slotted spoon remove cabbage to a serving bowl , return pan to stove and over high heat reduce remaining liquid to a couple of table spoons , pour over cabbage and mix.

Just before serving, roughly chop reserved fennel fronds; stir into cabbage mixture. Salt to taste and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil .


How to video , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbQ7k0cydY&feature=youtu.be



Nutrition Facts Servings 8.0 Amount Per Serving calories 343 % Daily Value * Total Fat 34 g 53 % Saturated Fat 5 g 23 % Monounsaturated Fat 25 g Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg 0 % Sodium 122 mg 5 % Potassium 423 mg 12 % Total Carbohydrate 10 g 3 % Dietary Fiber 4 g 15 % Sugars 5 g Protein 2 g 4 % Vitamin A 26 % Vitamin C 75 % Calcium 7 % Iron 8 % * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been

111 views

Don't Miss Out